Many people in Kenya invest in sweet potato production for quick cash or consume sweet potatoes without knowing the numerous benefits that they could derive from this superfood. There are many reasons why many nutritionists advocate the consumption of sweet potatoes. The most obvious is that they packs lots of nutrients. Sweet potatoes contain some of the most important nutrients including a high Vitamin A Content, a factor that gives them their orange color.
There are plenty of reasons why you should love sweet potatoes and include them in your diet. Here are 10 of them:-
1. Sweet Potatoes will offer you life-saving nutrition:- Sweet potatoes generally come in many colors including white, yellow, orange and purple fleshed varieties. The white ones do not have any Vitamin A while the yellow fleshed ones are packed with lots of Vitamin A. This is particularly important in Kenya and Africa where millions of kids suffer from Vitamin A deficiency. Consuming lots of these orange fleshed sweet potatoes will help kids to avoid diseases, blindness and other health conditions caused by vitamin A deficiency.
2. Sweet potatoes are good for food security. When other crops fail, sweet potatoes will be available at times of famine to help you supplement your diet.
3. Sweet potatoes can be planted to help you in generating an income. In a previous post, we have shown that you could make as much as 100,000 per acre of sweet potatoes.
4. Sweet potatoes have been a valuable sources of Vitamins A, B, C and E. It even contains iron and zinc. Just a little scoop of sweet potatoes can meet a child’s need of these vitamins.
5. Sweet potatoes can also be used for animal feeds. They can be used as feeds for chickens. Farmers who have fed sweet potatoes to their chickens have reported that the hens are able to produce better quality eggs. Dairy cattle that have been fed on high-protein sweet potatoes will produce less methane gas. Unlike other grains and plants commonly grown in Kenya, sweet potatoes require less rain.
6. Sweet potatoes grow in almost any condition: Sweet potatoes are a very versatile crop. They will thrive in any hot and moist condition. They can be used in making numerous sweet potato recipes.
7. Sweet potatoes are generally sweet and delicious to taste. It is one of the sweetest way to take up vitamins.
8. You can intercrop them with other crops such as maize and beans in order to prevent build up of pest. This is because from a different plant family and the plants that attacks maize will not attack sweet potatoes.